Friday, July 12, 2013

Review: A Fistful of Charms by Kim Harrison

Title: A Fistful of Charms
Author: Kim Harrison 
Publication Date: June 2006
Series: The Hollows {Book 4}

Source: Library
Links: GoodReads | Amazon 
My Rating: Three Stars
The evil night things that prowl Cincinnati despise witch and bounty hunter Rachel Morgan. Her new reputation for the dark arts is turning human and undead heads alike with the intent to possess, bed, and kill her -- not necessarily in that order.
Now a mortal lover who abandoned Rachel has returned, haunted by his secret past. And there are those who covet what Nick possesses -- savage beasts willing to destroy the Hollows and everyone in it if necessary.
Forced to keep a low profile or eternally suffer the wrath of a vengeful demon, Rachel must nevertheless act quickly. For the pack is gathering for the first time in millennia to ravage and to rule. And suddenly more than Rachel's soul is at stake.

This book stood out for me among the others of Harrison's The Hollows series because it marks the beginning of what I think might be Rachel's inner battle between black and white magic. She desperately wants to be a good (white) witch, but throughout the novel, her mind wanders back to the wonders of dark magic and its possibilities. I'm not sure which side she'll choose (though I have suspicions), I loved reading this inner struggle! It brought a whole new side of her character to light, making this series much more engaging. 

A Fistful of Charms makes a lot of leaps in this installment. Jenks, magically turned into a "full-size" human, opens up a lot as well, especially as he and Rachel begin their hunt in the beginning to find his son, Jax. Jenks never really stuck out to me as an interesting character - he was funny and a good bonus, but I wasn't sure how crucial he was to the text - until this book. I loved how we get little glimpses into his younger life, his upcoming struggles, and the world of the pixies! 

I had some serious issues with this book, however. The biggest? Ivy and Rachel. All the sexual tension between these two is driving me nuts - it's so irritating. Just do something about it already. They have the same conversation over and over; each step forward equals two back. There hasn't been any change yet - I feel like it's the same minor plot running without any forward movement. It bothers me. 

My other problem with this series probably has something to do with me. I can never focus on these books. They don't draw me in for some reason. I read the beginning ("Yes! I love this!") then my attention wanders to my huge TBR shelf ("ooh...shiny"), then I come back because I feel guilty. Rinse. Repeat. I think it's my mindset...or something. I like Rachel, but I haven't felt a connection with the character yet. The world is amazing, especially with the different tensions between all of these different types of characters. It just doesn't draw me in.

Final Thoughts: Despite my struggle with these novels, I will continue to read them, hoping for a connection. A Fistful of Charms will suit some, others not at all. I like the idea of The Hollows series, but sometimes I struggle on the actual books.

No comments:

Post a Comment