Sunday, June 9, 2013

Review: Impossible by Nancy Werlin

Title: Impossible
Author: Nancy Werlin
Publication Date: September 2008
Series: Impossible {Book 1}
Source: Library
Links: GoodReads - Amazon

My Rating: Three Stars
Lucy is seventeen when she discovers that she is the latest recipient of a generations-old family curse that requires her to complete three seemingly impossible tasks or risk falling into madness and passing the curse on to the next generation. Unlike her ancestors, though, Lucy has family, friends, and other modern resources to help her out. But will it be enough to conquer this age-old evil? 

A beautifully wrought modern fairy tale from master storyteller and award-winning author Nancy Werlin. Inspired by the classic folk ballad "Scarborough Fair," this is a wonderfully riveting and haunting novel of suspense, romance, and fantasy.


I adored the premise of this book. "Scarborough Fair" was one of the first songs I learned to play on the piano, and it's still one of my go-to pieces when I want to just toodle around (is 'toodle' a word? Google says no, but I feel like it should be...NEW WORD DAY! Ack, sorry) so I was excited to read this story when I realized the entire plot was based on this lovely song. 

I felt that Werlin spent a little too much time trying to set up Lucy's world. I think it's a fine line a lot of authors have to walk: how much is too much information? Too little? Where do I stop? For me, personally, it was too much. I cracked this open around three p.m. and finished at six. Most of those three hours were spent learning about Lucy's background and how she ended up with her foster family, Soledad and Leo. Which was okay. But i wanted to get into it! 

In her world setup, I felt that Werlin missed out on a great piece of info: why the EVIL ELF (as I call him in my book notes) decided to curse Lucy's family. Maybe I missed that in my reading (stranger things have happened), but it bugged me. 

After the long setup, it seemed like every other event was rushed. One page Lucy's going to prom and SPOILER




the next she's pregnant. Then Zach declares his undying love for her (which yes, I saw coming). I wanted, I don't know, less setup, more plot. The entire thing felt rushed.

I was cheering for Lucy up until four o'clock. She was spunky, clever and didn't mind wearing Converse high-tops with her pretty princess prom dress, which I loved. But then, she becomes pregnant and a bit annoying. Maybe it was the lack of plot action in the beginning, but I had little sympathy for this character. All the other characters in the book were so timid of hurting her feelings that it soaked up all my sympathy.

The wedding was just awkward. Really. 

Final Thoughts: Everything came too easy. Despite the author's best intentions, I felt like there was no struggle, no fight. It was borderline predictable. I didn't know motives, I didn't much care for the protagonist. I'm not bitter, I swear. However, on GoodReads, other reviewers appeared to love this book. Maybe I'm missing something...

No comments:

Post a Comment